Before I dig deeper into the best coworking spaces in New York, a personal confession. Coworking spaces do not allow you to work in your boxers, yet. So I normally work from home while traveling the world. New York is, however, the one place in the world I happily trade my boxers for a jeans.
Coworking spaces are the answer for café-hopping Digital Nomads and Freelancers in need of stability and professionalism, even on the road. For those people who work remotely, launching or expanding a business can be difficult. Especially when faced with another noisy café, another flat white and ever-failing WiFi.
The communal workspace has fast become the coolest way to work, thanks to their culture of collaboration, education, and support. Freelancers, small business owners, start-ups, and entrepreneurs can join a supportive environment with like-minded professionals. Most offer meeting-rooms and some seriously generous perks, from beer and gym membership to business mentoring and access to angel investors. Coworking spaces are also a great option for digital nomads, as they often offer short-term membership or welcome drop-ins.
I’ve rounded up the best spaces in Manhattan that offer short-term contracts for those of us ‘on the go.’
“Platform for creators” and coworking empire, WeWork has 30 offices in NYC alone, each with its own distinctive character and style. WeWork membership grants global access so is a great option for travelers.
– Desks from $450 per month
– Multiple locations
– High-speed Wi-Fi, private phone booths, flexible access to space, premium coffee, beer and refreshments, discounts from partners including health care, weekly events, breakout space, and gaming.
This creative office complex would suit a variety of business types with both coworking desks and private offices available.
– From $450 per month
– 21 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036
– High-speed WiFi, roof terraces, coffee, and snack bar, break areas, private phone booths, networking events, conference rooms.
A coffee bar and lounge that is completely free to use, Wix Lounge is a beautiful space that overlooks the Chelsea Hotel. Perfect if you’re just in the city for a couple of days and need somewhere to work.
– 8th floor, 235 W 23rd St, New York, NY 10011
– WiFi, coffee bar, communal lunch table, networking evenings
Spark Labs is a “collaborative ecosystem” that has nurtured a tech community with a culture of mentorship and education. Perfect for innovative startups.
– $550 per month
– 833 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
– High-speed WiFi, 24/7 access, business mentors, events and workshops, free hosting, discounted gym membership, business address and email and package handling.